I am an avid baby/toddler food maker. I like to make huge batches of meatballs, quiches, tots, fruits, veggies, and muffins. Then I freeze them and we have a month’s worth of food. I made these super healthy tots this weekend and all 3 kids have been gobbling them up. This recipe is super flexible and I change ingredients based on what’s in season or on sale. You basically needed shredded veggies, cheese, breadcrumbs and eggs. Carrots and zucchini were on sale at Costco so that is what I used.
- 14 carrots – shredded and excess water removed
- 3 zucchini – shredded and excess water removed
- 1/2 cup of breadcrumbs (I used whole wheat)
- 1/2 cup of shredded cheese
- 4 eggs
- 1 tablespoon of seasoning – I used organic poultry
- Preheat oven to 375.
- Wash veggies and peel carrots.
- Shred veggies. I used my awesome shredding attachment on my KitchenAid mixer. You can also steam veggies and pulverize them in the food processor – this works really well with frozen broccoli.
- Put veggies in a colander and squeeze out as much water as you can. This is an important step! Don’t skip it or you will have soggy tots.
- Mix veggies with breadcrumbs, cheese, eggs, and seasonings by hand.
- Grease cookie sheets or use awesome silicone liners.
- Use a cookie scooper, and put scoops of mix on the cookie sheet.
- Flatten the tots.
- Put in the oven. If you are feeling fancy, flip the tots after 15 minutes and then bake for an additional 10. If you’re feeling lazy, just bake them for 25 minutes. I’ve done it both ways and it doesn’t make a huge difference.
- Enjoy and freeze the extra!